The Grotto

The Grotto is an area for quiet contemplation. This fabulous Lourdes replica sits behind St Mary's Roman Catholic Church on Trumpet Terrace in Cleator.

Father Francis Clayton (priest at Cleator 1904-54) raised an appeal for the funds to build the Grotto, to provide employment for some of the parishioners when local mining and iron industries were badly effected by the Great Depression of the 1920s and 30s.

The Grotto was opened on the 30th October 1927. St Mary's Church is a Grade II listed building.

Comments